Thursday 22 May 2008

Laughing Policeman


It was a rainy night duty, and PC Rain was doing the wonderful job that we all know and love him for. I was single crewed and had actually managed to get a refs break. I wasn't expecting one, so I had called up another unit that was on their way in to grab me a nice healthy meal.

Whilst waiting I had been browsing through the hundreds of notice boards that are up around our nick. I have no idea where they come from, but surely people must realise they aren't serving their purpose anymore? When every wall and every surface is plastered with these boards, with "Senior Management Updates," "Community Relations News," and "Our Basket Of Ten Priorities" then it all becomes a senseless blur, like slightly more colourful wallpaper.

Hidden amongst this was a useful section which showed our current senior officers on the borough, a large section with blow up photos of each one. I had spent an informative ten minutes or so finding out how many of them I actually knew/recognised/had heard their name before (three out of about twelve) and how many I had actually met(two). I had then spent slightly less time correcting some grammatical and spelling errors that had appeared below the photos (awful really, someone had spelt "suck" as "suk"), written by cynical and bitter officers no doubt. I recognised at least one Inspector's handwriting.

I then ambled towards the canteen, a bundle of computer handouts in my hand, passing the Sergeant's Office on the way where two Sergeants sat typing at their computers. One paused and looked up.
Sgt 1: "Ah, Area, just the man. Are you doing anything right now?"
Think fast, think fast, think fast... oh bugger... "No Sarge, not particularly."
Sgt 1: "Good, pop in, I need a word"
I started to think even faster. How could he have seen from his office?
Area: "Ah, the thing is Sarge, I was only correcting their spelling. I didn't add anything."
A Blank Look.
Sgt 1: "Do I want to know what you are talking about?"
Area: "Er..."
Sgt 2: "Shut the door Area and take a seat, you're cluttering up the office."
I did as I was told, then decided to bite the bullet.
"Am I in trouble Sarge?"
Sgt 1: "Should you be?"
Sgt 2: "Stupid question, Pete."
General laughing from the Sergeants. I tried to smile as well.
Sgt 1: "In fact Area, believe it or not I just wanted to say I've received a letter from someone thanking you for your help in dealing with her incident. I've also got an email from another relief's Inspector saying you did a good job working with his team the other week."
Area: "In that case, can I take the Beano from out the back of my trousers then. As I'm not getting a beating this time?"
At this point, Sgt 2 who had been typing continually turned to me. Whilst sitting at the desk I had been nervously fiddling and folding at the print outs that I was holding. "What are you doing with those print outs Area? Is that a paper plane you're trying to make?"
Um, actually, it was supposed to be the head of a power ranger. I didn't mention this.
Sgt 1: "I think its nice that Area can express himself without using crayons occasionally." (smirk)
Sgt 2: "Of course Pete - so on top of his other talents, Area here is a black belt in Origami as well?" (snigger)

Ha ha ha. No-one should be in that much of a good mood on night duty. Especially Sergeants.

Ha bloody ha.

6 comments:

RandomPinkness said...

Hee hee that's the second time you've made me smile this morning, poor Area, you'll be back on form banter wise soon, and I'm sure you'll get your own back.

Anonymous said...

We also have these pointless notice boards, although unfortunately no managers to de-face (or correct spelling) on! Never mind!

blueknight said...

At one station they used to put the important notices and wanted posters on the toilet wall above the urinals. One way to ensure they were read I suppose. (I never went into the ladies' bog so I am not sure whether they had them in there as well)

Anonymous said...

i hope that's NOT your i.d. number on that shoulder strap. we DON'T want your blog stifled by some officious busybody with too much time on his hands!
"gunner"

Anonymous said...

In one particularCheap Diablo 3 Items station they will utilized to place the crucial is aware and needed paper prints for the potty walls higher than the urinals. One method toGW2 Gold make certain we were holding examine I guess.

christian louboutin schuhe said...

Ich hoffe, dass ist nicht dein i.d. Nummer auf diesem Schultergurt. Wir wollen nicht Ihren Blog etwas übereifrig Wichtigtuer mit zu viel Zeit auf seinen Händen erstickt!
"Kanonier"christian louboutin schuhe
beats by dre